Joseph P McMahon Jr. LLC is a solo firm, based in Denver, Colorado, through which I work in arbitration, mediation, conflict management, transformation and dispute resolution. My goal is to seek more thoughtful and efficient approaches to conflict. I have mediated and facilitated many matters, and have been appointed as arbitrator in approximately 80 cases.
Among others, this can involve the following:
- Mediation and facilitation.
- Improving settlement decision making.
- Using “conflict assessments” to determine which process is suitable.
- Arbitration and improving arbitration efficiency.
- Serving as “settlement counsel” for institutions facing conflict or litigation.
- Using creative dispute resolution approaches.
I have, and seek to apply, substantial experience in complex multi-party disputes.
- Common steps in mediation (a schematic)
- 2014 Article on “Distinguishing Evaluation from Prediction in Commercial Mediation.”
- 2013 Article on “Common Barriers and Decision Errors in Settlement and Mediation”
- Carl Ingwalson article from Sep 2013 Colorado Bar, ARBITRATION AGREEMENTS: FUNCTIONAL & DYSFUNCTIONAL
- Bob Benson article from June 2014, Drafting An Arbitration Agreement
- My CV
- List of publications and presentations
- College of Commercial Arbitrators Profile
Personal: I am married with two children and two grandchildren, and have advanced degrees in law and engineering. I moved to Colorado in 1962 to go the the USAF Academy. After military service, I went to graduate school in Denver in engineering and later in law. I practiced engineering in the early 70’s, and law through 2000. I began my work in mediation and facilitation in 1991.
This website is intended for informational purposes only, and does not constitute a solicitation, an advertisement, or legal advice.